Jen's Reviews > Skeletons at the Feast

Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian

F_50x66
Jun 10, 08

Based on real diaries, this is a fascinating subject, but mishandled. Bohjalian seemed to be trying to hit readers over the head with the horrors of WWII.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeletons at the Feast.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I was afraid I was the only person who didn't adore this book. I agree with you. The subject could have been handled more adroitly.

Jody How could he not hit you over the head with the horrors on WWII. The book is about the Holocaust, there is not way to make it pretty and neat. The War and the Holocaust were awful times and horrible things happened. He could have gone into more detail and more gore. However he covered it so you knew that it was gross but not so much that you did not want to keep reading. As a history teacher, I think he did a very good ob!!

Jeff I agree with the last comment. We can never forget what can happen and fight fascism in our own times by speaking out.

Losososdiane How would a writer not hit the reader over the head with a novel about WWII and the abuses of the Nazis? I knew a woman who went through exactly what he describes, fleeing from Lithuania to western Germany to escape the Russians advance. The point is that these things are still happening and we need to know about them unless we want to live in Disneyland. I am glad authors continue to write about these things.

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena Strongly agree with the original review. I kept thinking that if I wanted to read the proceedings of the Nuremberg trials, I would have. We all know that it was a horrific event and no army was innocent, but cataloguing the atrocities in a near clinical fashion got old fast. Not a huge fan of this book.

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey If you don't want to read about the atrocities of WWII why would you pick up this book? If you haven't noticed, Bohjalian writes to expose the human record of the various governmental slaughters around the world, many of which have been written about before, yes, but others which have largely gone uncovered. WWII ended not even 100 years ago. It's recent history - I doubt all of its stories have been told or will be for a long time. And we should not forget. But if you want to avoid the historical truth about what happened to humans who were pawns in these evil dictators' games, then don't read the work of sensitive authors who are intrigued by real people's stories.