Heather Doherty's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Aug 10, 11

Read from August 06 to 09, 2011

Wow! If you don't want to know how it would feel if your child committed mass murder at his high school, do not read this book. Although it was at times almost painful to read, I could not put it down. The story is told by Kevin's mother Eva, in the form of letters to her huband. It begins before their decision to get pregnant and continues to reveal the story of Kevin's life through the incident and his incarceration. Although the reader knows from the start that the boy is in prison, the tension becomes intense as the details of his crime are revealed and the ending does have a few surprises. Shriver's writing is beautiful. The most remarkable feature of this novel though is the gut-wrenching empathy I felt for Eva. Her failure to form any connection with her son from the moment of his birth and her increasing sense that her child is monstrous could be seen as signs of an unnatural mother. Eva feels this way herself, but I felt horrified on her behalf. Her husband's refusal to see anything wrong with Kevin increased my compassion for Eva. I have found myself thinking about the nature of parenthood, marriage and the idea that even the most depraved individuals are someone's children ever since I finished.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melki Let me know when you read this. I'd love to talk about it with someone.

Heather Doherty I will. I am a bit on the fence with Ms. Shriver. You Lost Me There was one of the most moving stories I've come across in a long time, but I found The Post-Birthday World unreadable. I have this one reserved at the library for next week.

Heather Doherty Melki wrote: "Let me know when you read this. I'd love to talk about it with someone."

What did you think of this one?