Joanie's Reviews > Then Again, Maybe I Won't

Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume

Mar 29, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in March, 2008

This was one of the few Judy Blume books I didn't read when I was younger. I guess it always seemed like a boy's book to me but a friend was going on and on about reading it when she was younger and I felt like I was missing out so I got if from the library. Wasn't there an After School Special about the book too? I know I'm dating myself but I think Leif Garret was in it and he just always seemed like bad news-maybe that was why I stayed away from the book back then too.

The book is kind of like "Are You There God? It's me Margaret" for boys. Tony, the main character, is going through puberty and starts spying on the girl next door. He even asks for binoculars for Christmas so he can watch her. It's weird to read the book and see how it's no big deal that's he watching the girl next door undress. He even tells the psychologist he's seeing for anxiety about it and he doesn't even react! Today the kid would be in a treatment program for juvenille sex offenders but in the book it's no big deal.

It was fun to go back and read a book like this, even if it's kind of warped! It makes me want to read some of my favorite Judy Blume books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Again, Maybe I Won't.

message 1: by Charity (new)

Charity This looks so good! I also managed to miss this when I was growing up...probably because of the 'boy factor' also. :-) I'll definitely have to check it out now. Thanks for posting, Joanie.

Joanie Hi Charity,
If you were into Judy Blume you'd definitley enjoy this one. I wish I had read it when I was younger, it would have made for some funny conversations with friends I'm sure! I hope you enjoy it!