Michelle's Reviews > Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism

Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: academic, politics, linguistics, history
Read in May, 2009

Having not been schooled too much in political science but heavily in Linguistics and languages, I found Arnold's thesis on the origin of nationalism, relying heavily on an imagined linguistic community through the rise of print-capitalism (i.e. nations are younger than you would think) to be quite eye-opening. It was intuitive to me that most national communities are somewhat artificial projections (granfalloon, anyone?) but the deconstruction and analysis of the concept were a fascinating argument for that case. I really dislike his use of footnotes, though, which really hampered my enjoyment of the reading, and were a bit inexplicable at times.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imagined Communities.

Anusar This was a seminal work, drastically changing how we look at nationalism. Can't believe you gave it a 3/5. Harsh!

Michelle I factor my own enjoyment in reading into my reviews. Also, I'd like to give it 3.5 but they don't have half-star ratings - all the nuance is lost!

Anusar yeah, I would've given it a 4.5!