meredith's Reviews > The Monkey Wrench Gang

The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey

Mar 07, 2007

did not like it

I blame reading this book at an inappropriately young age (9 or 10?) for the violent gag reflex that occurs whenever I smell patchouli, as well as the involuntary "NOOOOOOO" that I surprise myself with every time a ratty college do-gooder accosts me with a clipboard and a jaunty, "do you have a minute for the environment?"

Also, the surfeit of clunky, unshaven, back-of-the-VW-with-a-dog-looking-on-from-the-front-seat sex that occurs every second or third chapter couldn't have been good for my overall development. (That, however, is between me and my therapist.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monkey Wrench Gang.

09/03/2016 marked as: read

Howard Oh Meredith! I loved this book. You have hit me in the solar plexus with ... with ... with a monkey wrench.

George Singletary You are right you should not have read this at such an early age as you obviously did not get the message
Too bad for you

Jenn Awesome review. Made my night.

message 4: by Chuck (new) - added it

Chuck Billups Agree. You read it too early. Try it again. I am re-reading it now with a whole new lens. Same thing happened with The Grapes of Wrath for me a couple years ago.

Todd The people you described... are very much not Ed Abbey. So... try again. I think you will be surprised. And maybe try Desert Solitaire, his IMHO, greatest book and one of my all time favorite.

Curious, why review a book you haven't really read and an author you don't know?