Liana's Reviews > Oracle Night

Oracle Night by Paul Auster

Mar 28, 08

Read in March, 2008

Better than Book of Illusions. It's funny sometimes. And it's an exercise in mysteriousness and loose ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oracle Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike I'm not really sure what I thought of this yet! Which is kind of good, I guess, because now I'm at least thinking it over. You didn't really like Book of Illusions? I haven't read that one yet and don't know much about it.

Liana I think that if you liked Oracle Night, you'd get a good all-around opinion of Paul Auster's writing by reading Book of Illusions too. The protagonists more or less sound the same, but the Book of Illusions is set around the silent film industry (which is very amusing). I did like Book of Illusions, but it's not completely amazing. In my opinion, Oracle Night is more clever.

Mike You should check out the New York Trilogy--I thought that was really good. Very clever as well, but I think better written than Oracle Night. I'll look into Book of Illusions.

Liana Cool. It sounds like you have a better scope of his writing than I do. I will definitely check out his New York Trilogy.

message 5: by Mike (last edited Sep 12, 2008 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Well we're tied right now at two each, so our scopes might not be so far off. I'm actually going to see him speak in a few weeks. Should be interesting!

Liana My bad. I was thrown off by "trilogy." I didn't realize that they all came together in one. I'm putting it on my GoodReads queue!

P.S. I read your Oracle Night review. It's cool that you're going to see him speak! I'd be curious for what he's got to say.

message 7: by Mike (last edited Sep 12, 2008 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike It's ok. It is technically a trilogy but each other books is only about 150 pages, and they're all kind of tied together so it's sort of a single book. I guess?

Yeah, I'm excited to see him! And I'm very curious to see what he'll talk about, too.

Mike Auster was really cool! Saw him last night.

Liana That's awesome! I was afraid that he might have been a jerk (I don't know why. I think it's his photo). Did he offer any interesting insight to his books?

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Haha, he was a little jerky but not in an unlikable way. He talked about a lot of different stuff and actually had a really interesting story about Oracle Night. I guess that Warsaw phonebook that is copied in the novel was actually given to him by someone from Poland because it had an Auster in it. Then later on he was interviewed by a Polish literary critic who was the grandson of the family he mentioned by name in Oracle Night--Janina and Stefan Orlowscy. Just a completely strange coincidence.