Steve Mitchell's Reviews > Octopussy; & The Living Daylights

Octopussy; & The Living Daylights by Ian Fleming

Aug 03, 11

I own a copy, read count: 3

The last book of James Bond stories published by Ian Fleming. These four stories (The first time 007 in New York was published in the UK is this volume) actually fit in Bond's chronology somewhere around On Her Majesty's Secret Service rather than after the Man with the Golden Gun. All are better than the final couple of Bond novels - even if Property of a Lady has the biggest plot hole that Fleming ever allowed in any of his stories.
Octopussy sees Bond chasing up a crime committed at the end of the Second World War to bring a murderer to justice.
Property of a Lady shows that occasionally Fleming literally lost the plot in favour of a good story: it just does not add up, but if I told you why I would ruin the story!
The Living Daylights is probably my favourite short story featuring Bond and on a par with Casino Royale and From Russia with Love in terms of real quality.
007 in New York appeared in the US versions of Ian Fleming's Thrilling Cities after he was particularly scything about the Big Apple. It give Bond's account of the city which is much more favourable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Octopussy; & The Living Daylights.