Steve Mitchell's Reviews > The First Men in the Moon

The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells

Jul 31, 11

read count: 1

As a science fiction novel, this certainly falls down on the science part. Wells’s contemporary Jules Verne complained that in his 1865 novel From the Earth to the Moon the protagonists used a cannon to launch them on their journey where Bedford and Cavor used the fictional substance Cavorite to counter gravity. I do not have a problem with totally made up devices, substances and practices - as the second word of the genre is fiction – provided the author does not then go on to break their own made up physical laws.
As a science fiction work it is badly dated, but most science fiction is. (We did not manage manned missions to the gas giants and lunar bases by the year 2001 for a start!) What this book does so much better is to work as a satire on what we refer to as human civilisation. The Selenites shock that not only do the Earthling engage in warfare, but the soldiers proudly and happily head off to their fates. All in all, this is a great book well worth a look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Men in the Moon.