Sandy M's Reviews > A Certain Wolfish Charm

A Certain Wolfish Charm by Lydia Dare

Jul 25, 2011

bookshelves: historical, paranormal, shapeshifters, werewolves

I’m always thrilled when I find a new paranormal author who writes werewolves. They’re my favorite shifters to read about, and though I have my favorite authors I go to time and again for a good fix, I love it when someone new comes along and gives me a terrific story. I got double pleasure this time because Ms. Dare also writes about brothers. No way can I lose reading this series.

Lily has been raising her nephew since the death of his parents, and lately the teenage boy has been acting quite strangely. Not knowing what else to do, she’s tried to get hold of Oliver’s guardian, the Duke of Blackmoor, but the man has so far ignored her pleas. She finally decides to go a step further and arrives unannounced on his doorstep.

For Simon, it’s just the wrong time of the month for a complication like Lily. The closer it comes to the full moon, the more antsy and dangerous he and his beast become. What Lily has never know is Simon and his family are werewolves, and that inheritance has been passed to her nephew. Once Simon realizes the boy has had no guidance on this particular aspect in his life, the duke takes Oliver in hand to teach him a little about himself.

He also tries any way he can to get Lily out of his life before it’s too late, but the woman refuses to leave her nephew. She even refuses the surlier he gets as the full moon gets closer. I really enjoyed this part of the story between these two characters. Lily isn’t the least bit afraid of Simon, mainly because she doesn’t know she perhaps should be. She has no idea what’s lurking under his surface.

I also like the protectiveness of Lily’s nephew when he finds out what he and Simon are, wanting to make sure Simon doesn’t treat Lily the way Oliver’s father treated his mother. And Simon does a great job of making Oliver understand all he needs to know to live as a werewolf.

The attraction between Simon and Lily slowly roils along until the pressure is just too much and an explosion is imminent. Needless to say, Simon is taken off guard by Lily’s reaction to his true self.

Also, we’re set up quite nicely for Will’s story, which is next in Tall, Dark and Wolfish and hits the shelves next month. His history and current relationship with Prisca definitely intrigued me and I can’t wait to get to it. I also like the interaction of the brothers throughout the story. Ms. Dare does a terrific job of this. A lot of authors don’t work in siblings quite as much in stories, so this is a nice change of pace with Ms. Dare’s storyline.

A great start to a new series! There’s four books so far, and I’m hoping for more.

See my complete review at http://www.goodbadandunread.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Certain Wolfish Charm.