Donovan's Reviews > The Good Fairies of New York

The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar

Mar 28, 08

Recommended for: people who still play Changeling
Read in March, 2008

What a disappointing read. Firstly, the text is huge, so it didn't even give me the benefit at least being a distraction. I finished it in about 4 hours. The characters never evolved and I didn't even like any of them to begin with. Everything just sort of exists in this book, and the reading of it just felt like a snapshot of the world, but it was like a snapshot of someone else's living room with no context. Completely boring because I don't care about that room, I know nothing about it, and it has no barring on my life.

The introduction probably spoiled it for me. Neil Gaiman's intro was glowing about how great the book is. In it, he asks why Martin Millar isn't as rich as Terry Pratchett or as famous as Douglas Adams. I can answer that. It's because he's not as good as they are. Anyway, I went in there expecting to just love the book and there was nothing there. I really have nothing good to say about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Fairies of New York.