Athena's Reviews > The Mephisto Club

The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen

Jul 30, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in February, 2011

The Mephisto Club is about the darker side of religion; the symbology, and the myths. I found it both fascinating and creepy. Dominic Saul, who is clearly different from everyone right from the beginning, goes to live with his aunt, uncle, and cousins after his father passes away. Sin is the theme of the story, so we see Rizzoli's parents' marriage falling apart. Dr Isles' relationship with the priest Father Brophy, and of course, all the grotesque murders of Lily Saul's childhood friends. I did find the Mephisto group, lead by Anthony Sansone, to be interesting but very aggravating. I felt they were over confident and bold by assuming they should be a part of a legal investigation; a little far fetched in my opinion. As Lily Saul is lightly packed, and paranoid in Rome it is obvious she's fearful of Dominic, as we read excerpts from his diary, that reveals his eerie hobby of watching people, and refers to himself as separate from their kind. Since there were no supernatural events, despite the fact that Lily claimed she killed Dominic twelve years prior and he was still murdering people, the unveiling of Edwina Felway as Dominics mother, and the events leading up to that point, was suspenseful. The frequent mention of demonology, and symbols regarding it,added to the macabre feeling of the story... The Watchers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mephisto Club.