Athena's Reviews > The Amityville Horror

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

Sep 07, 13

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from September 06 to 07, 2013

I had to read this book, I just had to. I watched the movie (the original and the remake)years ago and because it always seems that parts of the book are left out I bought "The Amityville Horror."

This is a straightforward account in diary format of the Lutzes and they're experience with 112 Ocean Ave, previous home of Ronnie DeFeo, who claimed a voice told him to drug and kill his entire family in their sleep. It's scary, suspenseful, and it made me a little jumpy. Because the neighbors didn't want anything to do with that house the reader gets the impression that the Lutzes are on their own island suffering, which makes it that much more frightening. All the neighbors' windows facing the Lutzes home had their shades drawn to forget that it's there.
One of the bizarre things is that the book takes place in the winter, and while reading this at night I got the feeling that it was presently winter (although it's summer) just because the descriptions of the fierce weather were so accurate. A very interesting and freaky book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amityville Horror.

09/06/2013 marked as: currently-reading