Foxy11814's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Apr 12, 08

I never really had any intention of reading this series, but a close friend of mine insisted that I buy the first novel when we were roaming the shelves at Barnes and Noble. Yes, the book grabbed my attention, but I'll painfully admit it was because of the subject matter rather than anything truly engaging that the author wrote.

The truth is I don't really care for Anita Blake's character. Anything she takes any time in describing is pure agony reading. Her continuous lectures on guns is annoying, and it leaves one asking, "Who cares?" And, let's not forget to mention that we get these same descriptions of other characters, guns, clothes, etc. in every single book (at least from the first three I've read). It seems like every novel, after Book One, repeats what has happened in every other book. While I realize it serves the purpose that anyone can pick up any of her books and be brought up to date with the plotline, it demeans the fans she's accumulated. They know what happened in previous novels, and they know who her main characters are. And, for goodness sake, they know what kind of weapons she uses. So, why the tidious repetition?

The only character that holds any interest for me is her would-be vampire lover, Jean-Claude. His interests in Anita, a vampire slayer, and his slow seduction of her is far more interesting than Anita herself. Jean-Claude is what made me read the first three novels of the series. (I bought Books One through Six, so I'll read the rest, because of him, as well. I'm undecided if I will continue the series at that point.)

Of course, this is supposed to judge Book One on its own accord, and with that being said, it isn't horrible, because you don't get the sense of repetition, though you do still have to endure her descriptions. It's a quick read if you just want to waste time, but I forewarn you, you're not going to get a lot out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Debs My thoughts too, I couldn't get to grips with Anita Blake this is my first LK Hamilton book which everyone raves about LKH so I thought it would be good !! I am left disappointed some. I even bought a merry gentry series Hopefully that will be better, Oh and the Laughing corpse Hopefully it will be alot better that guilty pleasures.
we shall see one cane only try. I do hope Mandy is wrong about they all seem to repeat them selves the novels I mean. IT seems that it is going to be hard to pick up a decent author. should we always listen to all comments and I like Paranormal too

message 2: by Len (new) - rated it 2 stars

Len Huntley "...the book grabbed my attention, but I'll painfully admit it was because of the subject matter rather than anything truly engaging that the author wrote.

The truth is I don't really care for Anita Blake's character. Anything she takes any time in describing is pure agony reading...." omg, my sentiments, exactly! i am into fantasy books and a necromancer as the main character interested me but, heck, major disappointment!