Shelley's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Jul 18, 08

bookshelves: re-read, literature, youth, classic, favorites, my-childhood, 1989, 1991, 1999, 2010, 2012, 2008
Read in May, 1989

Anyone still working on this for the group?

I love the beauty of this book - all of the nature descriptions make me feel so happy. Which is highly unusual, as usually I get annoyed with a great deal of description. Anne is charming - flighty and almost too cute at the start, but she mellows by the time she hits 16. Gilbert remains my biggest literary crush - he's so intelligent and stubborn and I love the way he's always challenging Anne (which she does right back). They're worthy adversaries at first and perfect friends when they get over that. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series - as soon as I replace Anne of Avonlea, which is nearly in pieces right now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trin (new)

Trin I'm not sure if now's the time to admit this, but I've tried to read this book at least three times, and have never made it trough because Anne drove me crazy. SHE'S JUST SO PERKY. I CAN'T STAND IT.

Shelley LOL!! Yeah, she's not everyone's cup of tea. She does settle down by the second book, though. Actually, she settles down midway through this book. But she is very perky, yes. *g* She's a bit of a Mary Sue, really, I think - this is how LMM wished her life had gone with her grandparents. Even Gilbert is based on her relationship with her first love, whom, scandalously, she regretted not marrying.

Sheila Ooh, what a great idea! It's probably the book I reread least (because, like Trin said, she is super perky). I bet you know of some good lit crit for it, too. *bambi eyes*