Brenton Nichol's Reviews > A Blazing World: The Unofficial Companion to the Second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

A Blazing World by Jess Nevins

Apr 21, 08

bookshelves: reference
Read in March, 2008

This, the annotations to the second collected volume of Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, contains another forward by Moore, and interviews of both Moore and artist Kevin O'Neill conducted by Nevins.

The bulk of the book, the exhaustive annotations, were originally scraped together by Nevins himself, posted on his comic book annotations website, tweaked in a collaborative effort with similarly well-versed readers of the comic, and then edited into book form. If you've read the series, it should go without saying that these annotations are indispensable when it comes to catching the countless references to all manner of Victorian literature that Moore and O'Neill wrote and drew into the comic pages, and if you're bookishly minded like myself, you'll certainly feel a desire to familiarize yourself with the majority of the classic yet often overlooked works referenced therein.

The interview with Moore is an unexpected gem. I had never read an interview of his before, and was almost at once delighted by the passion and zeal and, above all, the great intelligence with which he approaches his craft and discusses literature, art, and his hopes for the League series. More than once I found myself vigorously agreeing with him in my mind, whether I had thought the same things before on my own or not. What a fascinating man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blazing World.