Linda's Reviews > The Street of a Thousand Blossoms

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: asian-voices
Read from July 24 to 25, 2011

I've read books that speak of the Japanese American experience during WWII - Snow Falling on Cedars, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. The Street of a Thousand Blossoms speaks instead of the experience of families living in Japan before, during and after the war. The story of two brothers, one destined to be a sumo wrestler, the other a maker of masks used in Japanese theater. What I really enjoyed was the preparation to be a sumōtori, the tradition and culture within the sport.

I confess that one of the main reasons I was so intrigued is because of twin brothers Jun and Rei Saito, who were born and raised in Japan by their Japanese mother and came to America six years ago as young teenagers to live with their American father, returned to Japan with the intention of becoming sumōtori. I worked with them “one on one” for two years as their ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher and came to know their country of birth through their eyes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Street of a Thousand Blossoms.