Curtis's Reviews > Exposition of the Divine Principle

Exposition of the Divine Principle by Sun Myung Moon

Dec 09, 12

bookshelves: classics, religion, motivational, re-reading
Read from May 07 to 11, 2012

This is the 1996 translation of the Divine Principle from Korean. This is indispensible for serious students of the new religious movements in general and the Unification Church in particular. Modern readers, who are used to having everything spelled out in detail, may be challenged by the Divine Principle. Taken superficially, it may not seem like much, but if you take the time and make the effort you will find incredible depth. The basic concepts are explained, but the application of these concepts is left for the reader to discover.

To get the most out of the Divine Principle it should be studied side by side with the Bible. The author assumes that the reader has a solid foundation of Bible knowledge. It is especially valuable to read the Bible verses in context when they are reference in the Divine Principle text or as footnotes. Here is an example from Chapter 4 of Divine Principle.

We can infer this from Jesus' own teaching to his disciples, "You, therefore, must be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt. 5:48) According to the Principle of Creation, a person who has realized the purpose of creation does not commit sin, because he is in full harmony with God and possesses a divine nature. With respect to the purpose of creation, such a person is perfect as Heavenly Father is perfect. -Chapter 4 The Messiah: His Advent and the Purpose of His Coming.

To understand this reference to human perfection in the Divine Principle we have to read Matt 5:48 in context.

5:43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matt. 5:43-48 (NIV)

This makes it clear that perfection as taught in Divine Principle is the perfection of love. Our love must be unconditional like God's love. In a larger context, this key point is crucial to understanding the Unification Movement and its central focus on achieving world peace through loving and reconciling with historical enemies.

Other resources may also be used, such as The Master Plan by Kevin McCarthy or Essentials of Unification Thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exposition of the Divine Principle.

05/07/2012 page 151
05/09/2012 page 253
59.67% "We are reading the red highlights for hoondokhwe. This is the first time we are trying that method. It's interesting. It's supposed to take five hours to read only the red parts."
05/10/2012 page 361
85.14% "[People] possess an original mind that prompts them to pursue goodness, and an evil mind that fills them with evil desires & rebels against the the original mind. The two minds are constantly at war with each other, inclining us toward shifting & conflicting behaviors. Since human society is composed of people constantly at war within themselves, interactions among them are full of discord & conflict."
05/14/2012 page 158
37.26% "Second day, second time through this year, focusing on the "red" parts (main points)."
05/19/2012 page 112
26.42% "3rd time through on the red parts. Finished Chapter 3, Eschatology."
11/19/2012 page 84
19.81% ""Truth illuminates the innermost desires of the spirit mind."

-Exposition of the Divine Principle, Chapter 1, 6.3.2 The Structure and Functions of the Spirit Self

This hit me right between the eyes.

We need HDH, DP & Bible study to awaken the innermost desires of our spiritual mind. We have to act on that innermost desire in order to achieve mind/body unity"
show 8 hidden updates…