Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)'s Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

I read the synopsis every time I come across this book. Even though the subject of abduction is right up my alley, I have serious, serious concerns about how this book might handle the subject. Especially with the way contemporary YA romanticizes incredibly unhealthy, disturbing relationships and calls it love (especially because the boy is 'ohmygosh so hot and he wants me!'). As well as the lack of realism in dealing with serious psychological issues or suffering of consequences for character's actions. Plus, it's an adult kidnapping a child, and I am just very nervous.

Right now, I'm obviously tipping toward giving it at least a good faith reading, YA or not. Mostly for the fact that my curiosity is piqued every time I see it, (view spoiler) which was one of my biggest concerns, and, at least in the reviews I'm seeing, the book actually does present Gemma's reactions to Ty as Stockholm Syndrome and that's a really good sign.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you on this.

message 2: by MLE (new)

MLE It's nice to know someone else shares my reservations. It is scary to see how much borderline abusive behavior is YA relationships. Possessive isn't treated as creepy, but loving.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Emily wrote: "It's nice to know someone else shares my reservations. It is scary to see how much borderline abusive behavior is YA relationships. Possessive isn't treated as creepy, but loving."

Right. And I wouldn't be able to take it if this is treated as capriciously as the other asinine "love" stories being pushed by that genre.

The Holy Terror I will say, I had the same concerns as you and was just as nervous, but this ended up being absolutely fantastic, though no less disturbing than I thought it would be. It was disturbing for the right reasons though. It's nothing like any YA "romance" I've ever read. I really think you should read this one sometime soon.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) The Holy Terror wrote: "I will say, I had the same concerns as you and was just as nervous, but this ended up being absolutely fantastic, though no less disturbing than I thought it would be. It was disturbing for the rig..."

Hmm, you've got me intrigued yet again. And I've been wanting to read an abduction novel...

The Holy Terror Alicia wrote: "How was dealing with the second person? There's at least a reason for it in this story, but did it get old and grating at all?"

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) The Holy Terror wrote: "POV never bothers me no matter what it is, so I'm the wrong person to ask about that.

If you've been wanting to read an abduction novel though, I couldn't imagine a better one."

I'll mull this over some more while I'm finishing these other two books I'm reading. Thanks for letting me know what you think of this book. Especially since I just dismissed reading Room yet again. I probably would have cycled back to thinking about this one sometime soon.

message 8: by The Holy Terror (last edited May 11, 2012 10:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Holy Terror Strangely enough, I came upon this because I was talking to a friend about something similar yet very different, and when I was looking at my friends' reviews I saw your comment and decided to nudge you a bit.

I haven't read Room though, I don't think I ever will. It seems more depressing than anything I want to read right now.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Haha, consider me nudged.

I read the first chapter of Room and I felt like seeing it all through a five-year-old was going to get old really quickly. That and he'd swing wildly between being his age and being way too observant and profound. But then not enough to actually convey the horror of the situation. I keep wanting to give it a chance and then I'll read a review that confirms what I thought from the synopsis and reading the first chapter.

Scintilla I have the same doubts. I just ordered this book,so we'll see. But the review I read, it seems to point to that direction. Hopefully not.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Forget Me Not wrote: "I have the same doubts. I just ordered this book,so we'll see. But the review I read, it seems to point to that direction. Hopefully not."

This might be the next book I start. If one of these book lending sites comes through for me soon. THT nudged me enough that I'll give it a try.

message 12: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel THANK YOU. Disfunctionality is all over the place right now (do any vampire-werewolf-human triangles come to mind???)
I guess it's a reflection of the directions that society moves in in different eras. At one point romances were all about "civilised lady seeks eligible gentleman", now it seems to be all "how can two people feed off of and encourage each other's complexes and illnesses".
And yes, I get the Stockholm angle, but COME ON - how many times do you turn on the news and see that a drop-dead-gorgeous kidnapper has been apprehended? (Not that good looking people are incapable of committing a crime, but I'm just saying...)

message 13: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel See, exactly what I was talking about - there is a discussion on Ty vs Edward Cullen!!

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Gabriel wrote: "See, exactly what I was talking about - there is a discussion on Ty vs Edward Cullen!!

message 15: by Gabriel (last edited Mar 13, 2013 05:35AM) (new)

Gabriel Alicia wrote: "Why...why is that even a question? Why do they feel it necessary to ask such a thing?"

Haha, but see, that really proves that people will find anything at all sexy/romantic - even the vilest of disfunctions - when packaged in a nice toned bod. If Edward had been a rotting zombie instead of a bad boy vampire, and Ty had been a sagging, balding, middle-aged "loser" instead of an Australian hunk of athletic perfection, then most people would have been disgusted, even frightened, by Edward's controlling freakazoid behaviour, and would definitely be calling Ty a paedophile, no matter what he did or did not do to Gemma.

So I guess the magic formula for romance in 21st Century Earth is
"Hot bod + total inability to function as a healthy human being + bonus points for managing to ruin my life beyond repair"

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Gabriel wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Why...why is that even a question? Why do they feel it necessary to ask such a thing?"

You're definitely not wrong about that. Look at the Best Book Boyfriends list. It's a damn nightmare.

Though, at this point I think there have been quite a few zombie romances. =(