Mel's Reviews > The Map of True Places

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

F_50x66
Jul 28, 11

Read from July 24 to 27, 2011

The Map of True Places was...interesting. It's the story of Zee, a psychotherapist who returns to Salem, the town in which she grew up, in order to care for her father, a man suffering from Parkinson's Disease. However, she is also still coping with the fact of her mother's suicide years earlier, as are her father and his lover.

So, I found Zee's relationship with her father Finch heartbreaking, since she is watching him gradually lose himself. And equally difficult is watching Melville, Finch's partner, lose Finch not only to the disease affecting Finch's mind, but also to the dissolution of their relationship.

However, the other plot lines of the story seemed unrealistic, far-fetched, and even self-destructive (or at least self-sabotaging). I liked the characters--all of the characters, in fact. However, I wanted something different for them, happier lives, better choices, something.

However, I enjoyed the writing style; the story moved at a good pace; and in the end, I think the next chapter of these characters' lives may be happier. I just wanted something more...hopeful.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of True Places.