Susan's Reviews > Homeland

Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

Mar 28, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, own-in-book-format, doodle-bug, epic-fantasy, brothers, coming-of-age, dark-fantasy, do-you-believe-in-magic, family-relationships, friendship, paranormal, read-in-2010, sisters
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy

In Homeland, R.A. Salvatore introduces us to Drizzt, drow and secondboy in the 9th house of the city of Menzoberranzan. It is the story of Drizzt's early life, his journey from birth to adulthood, as a member of an evil society of dark elves ruled by a dark Spider Queen deity.

I am not a role-playing game girl, and am unfamiliar with "Forgotten Realms" - the game on which the Drizzt books are based. In fact I never would have read this at all if not for my husband. I don't even read a lot of science fiction. So I was caught completely by surprise when I actually enjoyed it.

The story is complex, and compels the reader to continue turning pages to see where it will lead next. The setting is intricate and deliciously dark, illustrating the malevolent culture of the dark elves. With great artistry, Salvatore describes the Underdark, and the reader can see it as if it were a wicked painting passing before his eyes.

Rich in detail and heavy with an unexpected and deep emotional connection to the characters, Homeland is an excellent fantasy novel. It is an astonishingly well-written introduction to The Legend of Drizzt. I will definitely continue reading this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homeland.

07/21/2016 marked as: read