Jayne Charles's Reviews > The Plains of Passage

The Plains of Passage by Jean M. Auel

5862079
Aug 02, 11

Anyone who has got this far in the series knows what to expect of these books, and this instalment does not surprise or disappoint. Though Ayla eases off on the inventing spree and concentrates on being a one-woman UN peacekeeping force (somewhere between Kofi Annan and Marjorie Proops methinks) she still manages to invent a sexual position or two and come within a whisker of inventing the umbrella. Not at the same time I hasten to add.

Being serious, this novel was one heck of an achievement - to take two characters the full width of a continent, in a time when none of the infrastructure we would recognise today was in existence, and manage to convey the enormity of that journey without the story becoming hopelessly samey and boring. I admit there were times in the first few hundred pages when I felt myself turning into that kid in the back of the car that keeps whining 'Are we nearly there yet?'. Keep going, though, and the action starts, about halfway in. The end is typical of the series too - I could have predicted exactly where the author would leave it! The next volume is now top of my 'want to read' list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plains of Passage.