Brad's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: z-2011, to-read-with-my-kids, fantasy
Read from July 24 to 26, 2011, read count: 3

So this book was going to get just 2 or 3 stars until the last third or so. Things pick up in a great way once spiders are met and more is discovered about the Chamber of Secrets. I really like the aspect of the diary.

This will never be a favorite of mine in the HP series, but it was a good read with some great parts. And a couple crummy ones. Dobby, for instance, is the Jar Jar Binks of the HP world. So annoying. He might be a big part of why the book was just ok at the beginning. One small thing I did changed Lockhart from being extremely annoying to being extremely funny (I did indeed LOL a few times): I simply gave him the voice (and sometimes the look) of Dr. Ronald Chevalier of Gentlemen Broncos semi-fame (see video example here). I realize the two look nothing alike, but hey--it's my imagination, amiright?

Rating: PG, with some intense scenes.

Good quotes:
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." --Dumbledore

"Haven't I taught you anything? What have I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain?" --Mr. Weasley, and sound advice for everyone, if I do say so myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Quotes Brad Liked

J.K. Rowling
Ginny!" said Mr. Weasley, flabbergasted. "Haven't I taught you anything? What have I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain?”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jess Changing the voice of Lockhart to Chevalier really makes a difference. I wish I would have thought of that when I was reading it.

message 2: by Assassin (new)

Assassin White nice beard man

Brad @Assassin: Thanks!

Damos Totally agree.
Lockhart's a total peanut! The book is laced with some pretty dodgy occurrences though the diary thing was cool.