Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)'s Reviews > A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie

A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie by Matt Blackstone

Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: own, read-in-2011, 4-stars, young-adult
Read from July 26 to August 01, 2011

I love a unique book, which is no mystery. A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie is about as unique as it can get so it may or may not come as a shock to you that I thoroughly enjoyed it. While a lot of what happened in this book caused me to laugh, a lot of it broke my heart because I know there are real people, kids AND adults, who deal with OCD on a daily basis.

The main character Rene’s whole life is consumed by his OCD tendencies. Every choice he makes, every move, every thought is controlled by this mental illness. A lot of people say they have OCD, heck I even say I have OCD, but the reality is that very few people have it to this degree. The book became a bit tedious to read at times because it’s Rene’s train of thought throughout the whole thing but I must say the book gains major effective points that way. Being able to understand what he is thinking and feeling at all times really allowed me as a reader to see inside the brain of someone dealing with OCD. Getting to know Rene while at times could be difficult, in the end it pulled off. He was a character I could really feel for and I got excited to see small improvements in his daily life. Gaining a friend, speaking what was really on his mind, spending the night in the school, even a trip to New York may seem normal to all of us but for him it was a HUGE step and I am so glad I got to witness it.

Rene tries hard to break away from always feeling scared and out of control and one person who really helps him out is his new friend named Gio. Gio was a character you could easily love. His humor and easy-going personality was a breath of fresh air in this book. Rene, not having many friends before, is awkward and strange when it comes to his relationship with Gio and I totally loved it. I would be so sad after reading an embarrassing moment that Rene went through because of his OCD and then something humorous would happen with Gio and I’d start to feel a bit better. Gio teaches Rene a lot about the person he wants to become, how to steal umbrellas and most importantly how to be a good friend.

Even though the characters where great in this story, I must say Matt Blackstone’s wonderful and true-to-life description of OCD really stole the show. I wasn’t expecting to learn so much while reading this book but I certainly did. As I stated earlier, I have more than on one occasion mentioned that I have OCD (I even bring it up in my About Me page!) but after reading this, I realize my case is nowhere near as serious as Rene’s. I just wanted to cry when I read about all the torturous, agonizing thoughts that go through his head. His mind never shuts off. EVER. It is constantly running, worrying about something small and senseless. He is always stressed about what others are thinking, what time it is, how his hand smells, and it sometimes gets so bad he will even start puking. I just can’t imagine it being that bad. Every small decision from what I have for breakfast, to what time I take a step being controlled. This book was so eye-opening to a real-life issue that has seldom been touched on in YA books. I put this real, honest account of a young boy’s struggle with OCD right up there with It’s Kind of a Funny Story and Dirty Little Secrets!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie.

07/29/2011 page 42