Kaje Harper's Reviews > Yield

Yield by Lee Houck

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: m-m, literature
Read from July 24 to 26, 2011

3.5 stars. This book had elements of excellence. It tells the first-person story of Simon, a twenty-something young man who hustles and files medical records. And at first both jobs give him something besides money. At one point he reveals that he started hustling by accident while still living at home, and since sex was the way he defined himself it seemed logical. And yet, he puts very few boundaries on the sex. He lists all the things he's willing to do, and the list begins very vanilla with blow job active, blow job passive. But somewhere in there you see pain, bad pain, very bad pain...blindfold, gag, chains, whipping... but not because he likes those things, only because he gives his clients whatever they are willing to pay for. And as you watch him move through his days you see that more and more he goes somewhere else during sex. It's a job, and one he doesn't like much anymore although he doesn't let himself think about that. The book follows him through traumas and changes, and into a relationship he isn't paid for, and you come to care about him. The problem I had was that everyone in this book has major emotional and mental health issues. There is not one healthy sane person in here. The boyfriend comes closest (or perhaps his dog, who at least seems to have a fairly happy life.) I got tired of all the drama and angst and random conversation that maybe had deeper hidden meanings I didn't care to delve for. Perhaps I've been spoiled by too much genre fiction, where everything is pretty much in the open. But I found this vaguely unsatisfying.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yield.