Erin's Reviews > The Chronology of Water

The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from July 24 to 25, 2011

This book begins on a horrific note - a stillborn child - and from that point on, you are wrapped up in Lidia Yuknavitch, in all of her talent and beauty and selfishness and anger and brains. I finished this book and never wanted to return it to the library, and then I wanted to return it that second so that someone else could read it. I wasn't always comfortable; she is unflinchingly honest, and apparently not concerned with whether or not her readers like her. Sometimes I didn't. But I felt like I knew her. I appreciated that this wasn't trite or workshoppy - it so easily could have been, but there is a sincerity and a hardness in here that saved it.

I don't really like books that tell me everything is going to be okay. Usually they feel very sterile, and more often than not, as if everything is only going to be okay if you follow very precise and preachy rules. But here is a woman who is damaged and angry and makes very bad choices, but is also smart and passionate and full of love, and she says that if you are damaged and angry and making bad choices yourself, it might help to "make up stories until you find one you can live with." And I believe her.

I didn't always like this book, but I won't be surprised if, five years down the road, I find that it has become very important to me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronology of Water.

07/25/2011 page 235