Marcelle's Reviews > The Progress of Love

The Progress of Love by Alice Munro

U_50x66
May 12, 08

Read in May, 2008

excerpt - "As for me, I was happy because of the shedding. I loved taking off. In my own house, I seemed to be often looking for a place to hide - sometimes from the chidren but more often from the jobs to be done and the phone ringing and the sociability of the neighborhood. I wanted to hide so that I could get busy at my real work, which was a sort of wooing of distant parts of myself. I lived in a state of siege always losing just what I wanted to hold on to. But on trips there was difficulty. I could be talking to Andrew, talking to the children and looking at whatever they wanted me to look at - a pig on a sign, a pony in a field, a Volkswagen on a revolving stand - and pouring lemonade into plastic cups, and all the time the time those bits and pieces would be flying together inside me. The essential composition would be achieved. This made me hopeful and lighthearted. It was being a watcher that did it. A watcher, not a keeper."

Page 88 Miles City, Montana

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Progress of Love.