Marit's Reviews > Song of Susannah

1419866
Jul 30, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Read from July 24 to 30, 2011

Instead of tying up loose ends as the series draws to a close, this sixth book (out seven) adds another layer of mystery and suspense. The story breaks apart into multiple subplots where different pairs (or in the schizophrenic, possessed Susannah's case...trios?) struggle to find their way back to each other but stay on the the path of the Beam that will lead to the Dark Tower. Even the writer of the novels becomes embroiled in the quest for the Dark Tower as King himself appears as a character, his creativity governed by the White while the Black/Red tries to snuff him out. Susannah shines in this novel, her intelligence and strength carrying her through despite knowing her body and mind are being inexorably taken over by a creature who has betrayed Susannah's ka-tet and her love. I liked this novel because of the subplots are good stand-alone stories whose details intertwine just enough to make sure the reader never loses sight of the big picture. And yes, I like the additional layers of mystery of King as a character and the Mia creature. Somehow I'm still not frustrated that I still feel rather clueless as to what in the world is going on in this series! That's good writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Susannah.