Kieraanne's Reviews > The Reef

The Reef by Nora Roberts

May 22, 13

bookshelves: fluff-fiction, archaeology
Read from May 14 to 21, 2013

This was the second time I've read this book and apparently having twelve plus years difference between readings makes a difference. I remember reading it the first time and being surprised, but excited, that Roberts was including love interests where the girl was only 20 and the guy 25. Usually her heroines are about 28 and the guys just over 30. I was still very into the story and loved the romance between them. Of course, I myself was about 20 at the time. Now that I'm twelve years older it seemed like she spent way too much time on the "past" section of the story. I had trouble taking the romance between young Tate and Matthew seriously. They were just kids! What do they know about anything? I was annoyed this time that she spent so much of the book building the romance in the past and so little time "romancing" in the present and future. I guess I'm ageist.
I still liked the story, it made me remember when I wanted to be a marine archaeologist...which I'm now thinking may have been because I read this book...her characters always seem to accomplish so much by such an early age. Now that I'm a few years older than Roberts stereotypical heroine I feel like I should have done more by this point...earned my PhD and become a renowned...whatever...in my field. Anyway...the bad guy was totally crazy, but I wish he would have been in the actual story more rather than just a menacing presence at the back of everyone's mind. He really just kind of swoops in at the end to be all crazy and threatening but doesn't really have much impact in the daily goings on around the site. Still an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reef.

05/14/2013 marked as: currently-reading