AJ's Reviews > Notes from a Small Island

U_50x66
Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, travel
Read in January, 2012

This book was incredibly hard to get through. It wasn't poorly written or anything, and had some entertaining bits. I really like Bill Bryson, so I thought I would enjoy this as much as the others he has written.

Not so.

It might be a good and interesting book if you are very familiar with Britain and Birtish culture, but if you are not it's quite boring and repetitive. It consisted of Bryson's jaunt around the UK prior to moving back to the United States. I think it is meant as a travel book, or a travel memoir. To me, it just seemed like endless train rides and endless eating and endless pubs in endless towns, with endless complaints about the architecture and disregard for historical buildings. It seemed the first half of the book was full of towns he didn't really enjoy, and the second half had many he did enjoy.

It was written with the same witty self deprecating humor, and random historical tidbits, that I enjoy, but it just wasn't enough this time. I was able to finish, but it just wasn't that great.

If you like Bill Bryson and spent a lot of time in the UK before 1994, you might enjoy this one. Otherwise, you might like to skip it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from a Small Island.