Nicole's Reviews > English Creek

English Creek by Ivan Doig

Mar 28, 08

bookshelves: historic-novel
Read in January, 1997

My favorite of Doig's Montana stories really culminates in this sequel. The loss of connection that can occur over just one generation, the break in families over time if stories are not told. From immigrant settlers first tentative foothold in the rockies told in "Dancing at the Rascal Fair" to a fully established Forest service and how the family came to be tied to this land but no longer close with the first ranger in its service at English Creek. The two need to be read in order for the full impact of the families relation ship with the land, the forest service, and other people in the front range region called Two Medicine.
When I was reading this I was touring the region by bicycle and happened to stay in at Inn Dupuyer, a B&B run by a woman who grew up in the area and knew the Doig's. It was so interesting to hear about the life then from yet another viewpoint. It was also very pleasant to find such a lovely place to rest. A gracious welcome and every need attended to by very comfortable hosts. The perfect accompaniment to reading the story set in that town.
My room was very Victorian and cool in white, a charming shift from cycling the golden brown hills of a Montana in late August. However this building is an addition to a log cabin that dates back to the era of the novel.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read English Creek.