Pamela 's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

This is one dark, gritty and intense paranormal book I’ve ever read. I didn’t know what to expect when I cracked it open. Talk about a page turner.

Chess is like no other heroine I’ve ever come across. She’s a ghost-hunter and witch working for the Church of Real Truth to rid the city of all ghosts back to the spirit world. She also happens to be addicted to drugs and is in constant need of them daily. Chess grew up as an orphan and was passed from one abusive home to another until the Church took her in. She has no boyfriend or any friends and doesn’t wish for either. The only people she keeps in contact with besides the Church is her drug-dealer, Bump, and his enforcer, Terrible. Even though she describes Terrible as “scary and ugly and cold”, she finds herself slowly becoming attracted to him.

Chess gets a new assignment from the Church and believes it should not take her long to solve but like everything else in her life nothing is simple. To make matters more complicated, Bump has demanded her ghost-hunting services and if she accomplishes the task he’ll wipe out her huge debt that is owed to him. Chess figures it shouldn’t be too hard but also knows she’s got no other choice. Trying to solve Bump’s problem gets Chess kidnapped by his rival gang. They want her to NOT solve Bump’s problem and in doing so they’ll pay off her debt and give her an unlimited supply of drugs. What’s a girl to do.

This book far exceeded my expectations when I picked it up. The author’s writing style is amazing bringing everything to life without being so over descriptive. Downside is a world filled with characters fueled by fear, dark magic and gritty street-sense. It's a place you don't wander around alone in, a world where an oath of honor is taken to the grave.

I highly recommend this book and cannot wait to read the next book in the series

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.