Rebecca's Reviews > Shame

Shame by Salman Rushdie

Jul 24, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011 , read count: 1

I absolutely hated the first half of the novel. It seemed to drag on and on, introducing characters that I didn't find interesting in the slightest. However, it is interesting to note that as the book progresses, as the characters become more deranged (and consequently, more fascinating), I began to devour the book instead of checking how close I was to the end of a chapter every few pages.

Rushdie's style is sometimes a bit verbose, especially if you're not paying very close attention. However, he has added humourous little details, but only for the careful reader. With his long paragraphs, I was tempted to simply skip or skim, something that has never occurred to me in a very long time.

But there is much to be said for his use of symbolism, the use of the 'white panther'. I found that the white panther was very similar, although much better explained, to Paul's 'bad-gunky' in 'Lisey's Story'. Also, the book deals much with the politics of the middle east, so it would be much better to gain some knowledge on this subject, to give the book more context.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shame.

03/31 marked as: read