Sana's Reviews > A Case of Exploding Mangoes

A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from March 05 to 12, 2011

Ah! Where do I begin to write words on a book I have come to adore with every turning of the page? It's full of those little surprises and shocks a growing child gets to see everyday; before he has the ability to distinguish them as good or bad.

Yes, there is an element of wonder when reading about the alleged activities of the bygone President and the Pakistan army itself and why there hasn't been a voice raised against it. But that it all there is to it from my side.

It was interesting to read such a satirical novel on one of the notorious Presidents of Pakistan; which come to think of it, is an irony in itself. Nonetheless, A Case of Exploding Mangoes has a dark side to it. It raised a lot of issues Pakistan faces on almost a daily basis, but almost never has the capability to fight them off completely.

Mohammed Hanif sheds light on the whole mystery and makes it interesting. To look at those days past from the eyes of Ali Shigri, the protagonist, is like looking at a cell from a microscope and realizing how much we were actually missing out on. And yes, the book had a lot of metaphors and witty dialog which I enjoyed reading immensely.

It took me a lot longer than it would normally have to finish the book, yet I found it to be very insightful and somewhat sad. I would gladly grab any other book by Mohammed Hanif if he ever writes again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Case of Exploding Mangoes.