Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > Four Dukes and a Devil

Four Dukes and a Devil by Cathy Maxwell

I bought this anthology for the Cat and Bones short story. Unfortunately, it is not alone. First there is the story for which I bought this. It's not bad, but not exactly consistent with the Night Huntress world. Didn't we just recently get a story about demon blood/vampire drug? All in all, it didn't really add much to the Night Huntress world/story. But still it was certainly a decent read. *** for the Frost story.

But there are four non-paranormal stories (well, three and a half) matched with a contemporary PNR story. One of them is a contemporary by Elaine Fox entitled, The Duke Who Came to Dinner. I've never read anything by Ms. Fox before but I certainly will in the future. This was my favorite story of the anthology.

The other three were regency romances. I hate regency romances. Really. But once I start a book I will end up reading all of them. So I did. and I wonder why I did. I keep hoping that one of these days I'll be surprised by a Regency romance and really like it. The streak was not broken here.

Just an odd collection. The Cat/Bones short should have been packaged with a PNR collection and the Fox story with other contemporaries.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Dukes and a Devil.