Chi-Chi A's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Aug 06, 11

Read from July 27 to August 06, 2011

The Epic of Gilgamesh meets Noah's ark in this post apocalyptic, dystopian novel 'The Year of the Flood'. Margaret Atwood delivers a compelling story of ambition, love, depression, and hope. TYOF is gripping and engaging. This story follows two women who strive to survive a disease outbreak killing the people of the world. They re-tell their stories explaining how they ended up in the situations they're in and take us back to their experiences with an eco-religious group called the 'God's Gardeners'. Having been subscribed to the belief that a 'waterless flood' will massively wipeout the planet's population, the God's Gardeners conserve and prepare for this inevitable chapter of their lives. I must admit when I hit the 250th page I simply couldn't put it down. Action after action - great pace! But I do have a criticism of this novel.

The only criticism being that it took me till the 250th page to be immersed into the novel. I found the first half of the novel quite slow and the sermons a drag to read. The sermons given by Adam One, which took up three pages of the beginnings of each chapter were simply waste of pages. I was at times inclined to drop the novel when I got to the beginning of each chapter. It somewhat frustrated me. Also, I found the information in the sermons quite redundant. Most of what Adam One explained in these sermons were discussed in the chapters at hand. Maybe this is just Atwood's style of writing.

Apart from that, Atwood does a brilliant job developing her characters and explaining this world. I couldn't help but curse at characters I despised and hold my breath for the safety of the ones I loved. You know a book is great when you have a strong reaction to the characters, and for me, this book was definitely amazing!

I rate this book a 4/5 and I suggest dystopian lovers pick it up and check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

07/29/2011