dragonhelmuk's Reviews > 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

Jul 24, 11

Kindled for free. Another great book by Jules Verne, slow to get anywhere but interesting when you get into it and ignore all the fishes.

"Professor," replied the commander, quickly. "I am not what you call a civilized man! I have done with society entirely, for reasons which I alone have the right of appreciating. I do not, therefore, obey its laws, and I desire you never to allude to them before me again!"

"There is a powerful agent, obedient, rapid, easy; which conforms to every use, and reigns supreme on board my vessal. Everything is done by means of it. IT lights it, warms it, and is the soul of my mechanical apparatus. This agent is electricity"
"Electricity?" I cried in surprise.
"Yes, sir."
"Nethertheless, Captain, you possess an extreme rapidity of movement, which does not agree well with the power of electricity. Until now, its dynamic force has remained under restraint, and has only been able to produce a small amount of power."
"Professor." said Captain Nemo, "my electricity is not everybody's."

"The Mediterranean, the blue sea par excellence, "the great sea" of the Hebrews, "the sea" of the Greeks, the "mare nostrum" of the Romans, bordered by orange-trees, aloes, cacti, and sea-pines: embalmed with the perfume of the myrtle, surrounded by rude mountains, saturated with pure and transparent air, but incessently worked by underground fires; a perfect battlefield in which Neptune and Pluto still dispute the empire of the world!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.