dragonhelmuk's Reviews > Roman Antiquities at Lydney Park, Gloucestershire: Being a Posthumous Work of the REV. William Hiley Bathurst, M. A.

Roman Antiquities at Lydney Park, Gloucestershire by William Hiley Bathurst

Jul 24, 11

** spoiler alert ** Kindled for free. Superceded by Mortimer-Wheeler's report, and filled mostly with coin descriptions, but nevertheless has some highlights, 2 quotes:

Before dismissing the worthy Senilis, it may be remarked that his uncommon cognomen is probably a translation of his British name—* Hen,' The Oldy not unfrequent in such use. It was the regular practice with the Gauls to turn their Celtic names into Greek or Latin, as reference to the later historians will abundantly prove; and in this very neighbourhood we have at Bulmore a native Grecising his British appellation into * Agrius Cimarus,' the Wild Goat.

It appears to me almost a matter of certainty that this funnel was meant to receive Ubj^tions poured to the * God of the Deeps,' that were drunk up by the dry soil beneath
...
Was our Nodens propitiated with * drink-offerings of blood * poured out to him in the same way ? The broad band of sanguine dye encircling the funnel in his temple floor affords good grounds for the suspicion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roman Antiquities at Lydney Park, Gloucestershire.