Vernieda's Reviews > Spell Bound

Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from July 24 to 25, 2011

+ the plot hangs together better than in the previous installment

+ I liked that the character conflict was based on Savannah being tested. She's always been a magical prodigy and has never had to work for it. As a result, her entire identity's been built up around this thing. So when her powers are taken away, she has a massive identity crisis. What is she without her powers? I like that.

+/- baby steps towards Savannah/Adam. And I do mean baby steps. Miniscule, tiny, teeny baby steps.

- There are a lot of cameos of characters from previous books. Some are easy: Elena, Clay, Jeremy, Jaime. Others take a bit more jogging of the memory: Adele's kid.

- While the plot does hang together better than it did in Waking the Witch, this book still feels like a huge set-up for the next, and final, book. I hope the grand finale lives up to the expectations.

+/- I also wonder if some things are flying over my head because I haven't read her YA series, which is also set in this same world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spell Bound.

07/24/2011 page 60
18.0% "So I guess the first of the Savannah books was plotless because it was set-up for this one where the huge overarching plot happens??"
07/24/2011 page 99
30.0% "Quoting this passage because it's a thing of beauty: "Picture a place called the Karma Kafe and it'll save me the bother of describing it. There was nothing in it you wouldn't expect, from the Buddha flowerpots to the wallpaper decorated with symbols that probably said, "If you bought this just because it looked pretty, may Buddha piss in your coffee, you culturally ignorant moron."" 2 comments
07/25/2011 page 175
54.0% "Wow, those kidnappers were kinda stupid."
07/25/2011 page 193
59.0% "Ah, Clay. You're still the psychopath we all know and love. I'll miss you when this series is over."
07/25/2011 page 235
72.0% ""She's a predator. She's always paying attention, even when she pretends otherwise." For all that Armstrong's plots often fall to pieces, it's the little character observations that keep me coming back for more."
07/25/2011 page 317
98.0% "Savannah & Adam: So close, yet SO FAR."
07/25/2011 page 324
100.0% "Why I love Jaime: "Call Jeremy then," I said. "Tell him you'll meet him on the roof." She lifted her leg, showing off three inch heels. "Haven't you learned your lesson about wearing those on a mission?" "Yes, And the lesson is that I should ALWAYS wear these, so no one asks me to do anything crazy like climb onto a roof.""
show 1 hidden update…