Tianna's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from July 24 to August 09, 2011

This was a nice easy book to pass the time. A little repetitive at times, it was the equivalent of watching a Chick Flick on TBS on a lazy Saturday. That's in no way a dig since I'm starting to realize that I love a well-written "chick lit" book as much as a more heavy novel. I think the key here is that this book was well-written. The author was descriptive and set the scene well. I loved the little nuances like what characters did with their hands while talking.

Rachel was frustrating and naive at times, but I found myself identifying with her a lot too. She felt like an old friend that just keeps making the same mistakes, but no matter how much you want to scream at her, you can't because it's up to her to realize what she wants and needs. Darcy was even more frustrating, but I'm sure most women have had a Darcy in their life: equal parts infectious, charming and toxic. My favorite part of this book is how it makes a complicated topic uncomplicated. It explains things all from Rachel's side, and even when you want to be judgmental, you can't help but understand where she's coming from.

In the end, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. It's not breaking any barriers or introducing anything particularly new and different. But it is enjoyable and that's enough sometimes. I'll definitely be purchasing Something Blue next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.