Alisa Hedden's Reviews > Down to the Bone

Down to the Bone by Justina Robson

F 50x66
Jul 24, 2011

Read in July, 2011

First a warning (only slightly) no synopsis of previous events is included, so you might end up (like me) being a bit confused by everything that has gone before. Rather like trying to read the The Return of the King, without having read the previous books in the trilogy.
That being said, it was worth the confusion (for me) to get through the first parts and pick up the cues that helped to fill in the back story. Former Rock gods, demons, elves (with tails!) cyborgs, dragons, golems, etc, etc.
Fully populated worlds that overlap mix and mingle to provide a very interesting whole. And, always remember when traveling in strange worlds, the societal rules change. Worse than being American, going to India and trying to order a hamburger.
There is no returning King here, but our heroes (?) have to defeat a would be dragon, and save all the worlds. Not to end up the rulers or great heroes, but to have a chance at the life they choose. Along the way there is loss, hardship, pain and betrayal.
© Night Owl Reviews - http://www.NightOwlReviews.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down to the Bone.

06/23 marked as: read

Blue Eyed Vixen I think you miss the point...this book ties the story unfolded in the previous books, and I'd highly recommend these be read in order to fully appreciate the tale that Robson weaved so well.

Alisa Hedden I did not say the book wasn't well done. I did enjoy it. Unfortunately, I had nto read the previous books (and wish I had). Like I said, rather like trying to read The Return of the King without haveing read the rpevious 2 books. I did recommend reading the previous books in the series, first.

Blue Eyed Vixen ...again, you've missed my point. I never said you claimed it not a worthy read. I understand you enjoyed the fifth book but you recommended readers perservere through it...I would recommend they do the hard yard and start from book one. Jumping in at the end can just do your head in.
No disrespect intented, just my humble opinion.
I do like your other reviews.