Erin's Reviews > Sliver of Truth

Sliver of Truth by Lisa Unger

Oct 13, 11

bookshelves: crime-suspense
Read from October 10 to 12, 2011

Unger as a writer intrigues me, especially in these Ridley Jones books. She isn't interested in resolving things into nice neat packages, which is how most crime novels seem to end. I dig that about her. And she really understands the psychology of people, even effed up evil people, and how complicated we all are and why we behave the way we do. No one gets a neat, tidy ending in this book. I found myself nodding thoughtfully at some of the hypothetical questions Ridley poses to me, the reader (we're totally BFF now!) throughout the book about why people behave like they do (in between episodes of trying to escape bad guys who want to kill her).

Ridley Jones still managed to irritate the crap out of me in the beginning with her "let me refresh my personal story for you in case you didn't hear my story before--remember this incident about my past? No? Let's recap!" Argh, shut up, Rid. But the central issue--who is she, where in the hell is Max, why do people in her life keep ending up dead and who is this new FBI dude coming into the picture? remained interesting. Also interesting was how FBI dude Dylan kind of...replaces Jake as a sexy tortured male archetype following poor Ridley. Unger just swaps out one for another! I didn't know you could do that!

Anyway--I liked the story, more than I should have. 3.5 stars, but Ridley and her poor traumatized self keep winning me over! I was surprised I read Beautiful Lies over a year ago...it honestly just seems like I read it a few months ago. She's stayed with me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sliver of Truth.

10/11/2011 page 185