Frank's Reviews > Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

Jul 24, 11

Read in January, 2010

Food Rules is not a book so much as a pocket guide. For the life of me I don't believe anyone would seriously tuck it into their pocket as a reference while food shopping. Within it's covers is 64 "rules" that Pollan offeres up to help people discern real food from, as he calls them, edible foodlike substinces. They are not rules so much as personal policies or guideline to keep in mind before you put food in you mouth.
I'm sure that this book will be of great benefit to many people. Unfortunatly if you arewell versed in Michael Pollan's previous works, particularly In Defence of Food and The Omnivore's Dilema, you will find this a boring regurgitation of that material. Nothing new for the students of Pollan I'm afraid to say. Also having watched most interviews with Pollan on YouTube regarding the release of this book, you find that somewhere in the order of 75% of the material had been discussed already.
This is most likely useful for those who are unfamiliar with Michael Pollan's previous work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Food Rules.