James's Reviews > A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future

A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: thought, business-and-leadership
Read in July, 2011

I read this book because it was referred to in a book about the missional church I read (Hirsch and Ferguson's On the Verge). This book was better than that book.

The front cover bears the subtitle: " Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future." This is actually not Pink's contention at all and is likely something the publisher thought would help sell books. What Pink does say is that the left brain dominant activities like analysis, data crunching, etc., need to be balanced by right brain activities. Thus, we should develop our right-brain aptitudes so that we are using our 'whole brain' and not simply the right-brain instead of the left. So for him it isn't so much about right-brain dominance (contra the cover) as giving the rightbrain its due.

This is a business book and so Pink justifies his appeal to rightbrain aptitudes with a look at the bottomline. In his chapter, Abundance, Asia and Automation he explains his need to evoke the right brain for success in the future. Because of the abundance in our culture, people buy things that reflect their sense of beauty and personal taste rather than purely for their utility. Asia is significant because, increasingly companies are outsourcing to Asia for white collar jobs because they save a lot of money. By Automation, Pink means the ways in which computers are replacing many of the traditional left brain jobs (analysis, number crunching). With these realities impinging on job security, Pink asks you three questions: (1)Can someone overseas do it cheaper? (2) Can a computer do it faster? (3)Am I offering something that satisfies the nonmaterial, transcendent desires of an abundant age?

So what help can the right brain bring to our dilemma as we move from the left brain centured 'infomation age' to the Conceptual age? Pink suggests 6 senses (right brain aptitudes): Design, Story, Symphony (a more musical way of describing systems thinking), Empathy, Play, and Meaning.
Each section describes in detail how each of these can contribute to success and provides activities for increasing your aptitude or understanding of each of these 'senses.'

But in the end this book is a fun and easy read. I read it from cover to cover in almost one sitting. Some of its suggestions I may come back to.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Whole New Mind.