Lani's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Mar 28, 2008

bookshelves: chicklit, signed, own
Read in April, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I always forget the endings of these books - maybe because the inevitable twist 4 pages before the end of the book just doesn't stick with me like the characterizations in the other several hundred pages. After my second reading I really do dislike the ending of this one.

I just didn't feel that Josie had enough impetus to react the way she did. The ending seemed too pat with a whirlwind wrap-up. The journal was a nice device through the book as we learn that Josie may have more to do with it then expected, but it just seems unreasonable that she would have just suddenly decided to exact her revenge at the last second. She just didn't seem STRONG enough to fight back.

At any rate, this is in my top 3 of Picoult books, and I was lucky enough to have her sign it. Turning a perspective on its head and showing the motivation behind a child's rage, and the stifled frustration of a good girl should really speak to a lot of kids. I hope this is a book recommended to younger readers (YA) and not just adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.