Amy *Waitforit*'s Reviews > Anno Dracula

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: murder, mystery, series, romance, vampires
Read from August 19 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

A Savage New Era Has Arrived

It is London 1888 and Queen Victoria has remarried, taking the Wallachian Prince known as Count Dracula as her consort. His polluted bloodline spreads through London as more and more civilians choose to become vampires. In a grim area of Whitechapel the 'Silver Knife' is cutting down vampire girls. The eternally young Genevieve Dieudonne and Charles Beuregard of the Diogenes Club are drawn together as they hunt down the sadistic killer bringing them closer to the England's bloodthirsty ruler.

I loved this book, I already want to read it again. It is gripping from the first page, even though the reader knows who the killer is, there are more mysteries to uncover as the story progresses. The historical and literary references are accurate, it is easy to see that the author has done his research. The main story follows the search for the 'Silver Knife' or 'Jack the Ripper' but there is also a healthy dose of politics, horror and romance as well. The story is well written and draws the reader into the story, using excellent descriptions of the surroundings, smells and sights so that you are almost there with the character.

To sum up, I am already looking for the other books in the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anno Dracula.