Sam Quixote's Reviews > Wilson

Wilson by Daniel Clowes

Sep 19, 11

Read in July, 2010

Wilson is a fifty-something who lives alone with his puppy, striking up conversations with strangers and then insulting them. One day he goes looking for his ex-wife, finds out they have a daughter, kidnap the teenage girl, goes to prison, and gets out to pick up his life where he left off - alone, minus the dog.

For a book that's full of sadness and pathos, Wilson is surprisingly funny mostly because Clowes makes Wilson say remarkably insensitive things to people. A woman is telling someone about her sister who's been diagnosed with lyphoma and Wilson butts in, tells her his 82 year old dad is dying, then gets upset when he doesn't get the attention. When he gets a haircut he says "Hey, guess what? I'm a grandfather! Believe me, I'm as surprised as you are" to which the barber says nothing, his face expressionless. It's just the delivery and strange way of saying things that made that strip so funny. In some ways you like Wilson because he's so clueless and nasty but most of the time you're apt to think he's a sociopath.

I really enjoyed this book. It's short and a quick read being less than 80 pages but it's definitely one of Clowes' best up there with "Ghost World" and "Ice Haven", and easily his funniest. It's a very well told story and drawn in Clowes' distinctive style. Not just for Clowes fans but for anyone who likes comics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilson.