Alecia's Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: couldnt-finish
Read from January 14 to June 25, 2012

I tried. I tried so hard to finish this book, but, for the life of me, I just couldn't. While writing this review, I realised something: I've never given a book 1 star before. This is a first, and what a shame it happens to be a book from a series that started off so well.

I enjoyed the first three books of The Mortal Instruments series, and it's a shame Clare didn't stop there. I held on as long as I could, but this book was doing my head in. What happened to the characters I came to know and love from the first three books? These clones in City of Fallen Angels lacked personality. Like Simon's current existence, these characters were living but were not alive. It was almost as if Clare removed their souls and left the empty shells behind.

This book lacked purpose. I can easily through it out and have no regrets because it left no impression on me whatsoever. It hurts me to give any book a 1 star but the fact that it's a book I was looking forward to just left me heartbroken. It was almost as if City Of Fallen Angels was written by someone else. This can't be the same Cassandra Clare who wrote the first three books.

I could go in depth and point out the hurt this book has inflicted upon me, but I won't because of my loyalty to the first three books. I will not be continuing with the series for the mere fact that it has lost its spark and its significance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.

01/16/2012 page 39
9.0% "Hmmm ... we'll see how it goes." 1 comment
01/22/2012 page 39
9.0% "The opening scenes with Simon didn't grab me right away but then Clary and Jace stepped in and put a smile on my face :)"
01/25/2012 page 79
19.0% "Nothing much happening as of yet. Feels like an intro to the characters again, reminising about what occurred in the previous books. Hopefully it will pick up soon."
02/17/2012 page 97
23.0% "Is it just me or is there something wrong with this one? I'm finding it hard to get through it. What happened? I'm starting to wonder if the series should have ended with book 3. We'll see how it develops." 4 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ioana i agree with you...it's pretty boring at first but i heard that it gets more and more better

Alecia I've heard that the book does get better, so I'll definitely stick with it to find out :)

Sophia Yeah, I totally agree with you also
I'm just not a very big fan of how Cassandra Clare writes her books
I LOVE the story line
It's just that, I think she gets into things to fast

Alecia I hear you. I think if she had taken a little more time to think it through then it might have turned out differently.

Amanda I finished it and liked it. BUT I agree that the characters were not the same. I was a bit disappointed because while I loved the first three books I thought she should have stopped as was originally stated on the covers of the first books. I hate to think she may have written more simply for more money.