Kim's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

** spoiler alert ** As I said I would I will attempt to read every book that is selected in the 2 clubs I'm in whether I think it will be good or bad.

In saying that I didn't have very high hopes going into this one and I think that has helped. It wasn't great but it wasn't really bad either.

The story of Cassel: a non-magical worker (to begin with) in a family of workers who harbours a deep, dark secret. The night he killed his "best" friend. As the book goes on he learns he was being manipulated by his brothers who were forcing him to use his powers to kill people and then altering his memory.

To me it's like a more adult, darker version of Charmed Life. The ones who are closest are often those you should trust the least.

The three stars I gave are really for the world Holly Black created and the story but not the characters. The only character I enjoyed was the Granddad. I did not like Cassel at all. I'm tired of weak, stumbling, intelligent yet oh so stupid main characters. And Lila sounds like she deserves a good slapping anyway. The brothers were fine enough in their role though the ending leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall I read it because it was a goal I set myself but I won't be reading the rest of the series unless they are chosen as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ "I'm tired of weak, stumbling, intelligent yet oh so stupid main characters." that sentence resonates with me the most. It seems like an issue that keeps coming up over and over again... the author *says* that their protagonist is super smart and clever, and yet everything they actually do denounces this. Why?!?