Kiersten's Reviews > Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie

Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar

5861997
Jul 24, 11

A charming, witty, lighthearted but intelligent little novel. Despite being eighteen and in my senior year, this year is my first in a public high school as well, so I found Scott's experience oddly relatable in that (small) aspect. Scott's character was thoroughly likable. He's the writer I would have killed to be at his age, he's intelligent, and he actually has quite a lot of integrity and is fairly sweet. I loved all the literary allusions he made (Ender's Game, The Princess Bride, Tuck Everlasting, The Three Musketeers, Dragonflight, even one of Bruce Coville's books), and how he integrated what he was learning in English - first- vs. third-person point of view, and especially those Tom Swifties ("'I've been sliced in half!' Tom said intuitively.") - into his own narration. The author deals effectively with a lot of weightier themes (such as depression, teen suicide and hazing) throughout much of the novel without losing Scott's lighthearted tone. Some things were slightly exaggerated for humor's sake at times, but overall, still convincingly believable.

Considering I generally shy away from contemporary fiction told from a teenage boy's point of view - no offense, but as an 18-year-old girl, I don't want to know what goes on in their head - this was far more enjoyable than I had been expecting. Clever and eminently humorous. If I had anyone to recommend it to, I would.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie.