Winna's Reviews > Esperanza Rising

Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Mar 27, 08

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in March, 2008

Esperanza Rising is a YA book I mooched from Anna Kay. It was a Scholastic hardcover edition with beautiful cover and excerpt pages (I love the cover!).

The story revolves around a girl named Esperanza, whose father was suddenly murdered and she lost everything in a fire. She and her mother had to work in Oklahoma, with her grandmother separated, still in Mexico. This book told her story about growing up, how she felt when she lost everything dear to her, and she was still spoiled sometimes for the things she used to have that were now taken away. However, she was strong and she did not give up.

Very believable with little chapters based on vegetable and fruit names representing each season's harvest. I like learning Spanish and things about Mexico, including the delicious food and culture. The characters are all realistic and charming - based on the author's own grandmother Esperanza Ortega and her family and life experiences.

I enjoyed it. Fast read, excellent copy. Mooching another book by the author: Becoming Naomi Leon :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Esperanza Rising.